meet the hazelferns:
DAD, HUSBAND, GEEK, BAD DANCER, COOK, AND WINEMAKER
Bryan’s love of wine is rooted in his Oregon blood.
“I grew up in a family who appreciated great wine. I was taught that wine is something special yet something that is a staple of everyday life – a condiment with any meal… something to talk about over family dinners, something to share with good people and great friends, and something to collect and age with memories. It’s an inclusive part of everyday life.”
Bryan started making wine in 2006, experimenting with every tactic and style like a pinot-fueled mad scientist. The focus of every vintage is to make food-friendly wines that feature the terroir and truth of the grape rather than clouding the taste to follow trends. Hazelfern’s dedication to organic farming mirror Bryan’s love of cooking and farm-to-table style.
Bryan left his corporate day job to focus on winemaking full time in 2018.
“Laura and I are raising our kids on a vineyard in one of the most exciting wine regions in the entire world. You only get one life and we’re absolutely living for right now! That is the spirit behind Hazelfern. We refuse to be held back by fear, by golden handcuffs, and the heavy feeling of other people’s expectations. We’re so grateful to wake up everyday and work our asses off pursuing our passion.”
5 FACTS ABOUT BRYAN FROM INSTAGRAM:
1) Bryan wishes he was a rock star, but he has no musical talent and he definitely sucks at dancing. His ultimate goal is to one day own a large outdoor concert venue surrounded by a vineyard in the Willamette Valley so we can all listen to live music all summer long.
2) Bryan was once an on-stage contestant on The Price is Right in the Bob Barker and Rod Roddy days. He lost, and continues to lose on every rerun he has ever seen himself on.
3) Bryan LOVES to cook and geeks out on making every meal gourmet, special, and romantic. Cooking is definitely his love language, and he approaches winemaking in the same way that he cooks. Bryan is very focused on making wine that he hopes you will like to drink. It’s his art and his love language, and he cannot wait to share his wines with you over an excellent meal.
4) Bryan didn’t go to school for wine making (he went to school for business). He learned how to make wine with his Oregon family starting in 2006.
5) Although Bryan is actually an introvert, he’s a Chatty Cathy when he drinks. His drunk alter ego is named, “Disco Dirk."
MOM, WIFE, CANADIAN, SHOWER SINGER, AND HEAD HONCHO
LAURA’S LOVE OF WINE IS ROOTED IN GOOD TIMES, GREAT FRIENDS, AND SHARED MEMORIES.
“I love wine because it’s a vessel that connects people through great conversation and good times! I love that wine allows us to host, entertain, and share experiences with so many great people from all over the world.”
As Hazelfern’s General Manager, Laura is the driving force behind the experience and heart of Hazelfern. From co-winemaking to running the finances, planning the events, and hosting guests in the Hazelfern wine barn, Laura truly wears every hat there is.
“Hazelfern is an experience. It’s a culmination of what our journey has been all about. We’ve worked hard to give our family the chance to experience true farm-to-table life, and at the same time, put that passion into our winemaking.”
While entertaining and wine are Laura’s passion, she can’t wait to hear your story and create new friends here on the farm.
“I think Hazelfern is a pretty magical place, and I’m focused on delivering a memorable experience for everyone that stops by to share a glass of wine with us. I want people to remember the stories that were shared with our wines, and I want the Hazelfern experience to be friendly and approachable. I love getting to meet new people over a great glass of wine!"
5 FACTS ABOUT LAURA FROM INSTAGRAM:
1. Laura is Canadian. She was born in Vancouver and grew up near Toronto. After a few glasses of wine, she starts talking like a Canadian. Moms become Mums, Processes become Pro…cesses,” and Houses become "hoe-ses.” She also develops a strong desire to play hockey.
2. Laura’s kryptonite is old TV series on Netflix and Hulu - she could literally binge watch them all day long. Currently she is really into this show from the 90’s called “Beverly Hills, 90210.” Maybe you’ve heard of it?
3. Laura has a great eye for interior design and consumer experience. She has been working her magic in the winery/barn, and can’t wait to invite you all over to hang out and drink some wine this summer. She’s hoping your experience at Hazelfern will be completely unique and magical.
4. Although she's a city girl, Laura has developed a mean tractor game! Ever since Bryan drove the tractor forks through the winery walls this past harvest, Laura is now considered by many to be Hazelfern's best tractor driver. 🚜🙊
5. Laura has a tattoo. It’s a red maple leaf that was freehanded at 2am in Vegas on her left cheek. Yes, that cheek. 👇🏼 Did we mention that Laura really likes wine?
ADALYN & AVA
Whether you’ve been to a Friends & Family Release party or had a spur-of-the-moment tasting, you’ve probably run into these two spitfire farm girls.
Laura and Bryan’s two princesses of pinot run the show behind the scenes and enjoy every aspect of growing up on a vineyard. Late summer nights playing between the vines and helping mom & dad with punch-downs, the appreciation for friends, family, and sharing the craft is being passed down.